Combine harvester insurance
Specialist cover for your combine harvester
Our combine harvester insurance is there when you need it. Our specialist team will help you to get the right cover for your combine harvester.Get a quote
A-Plan Combine Harvester Insurance
A-Plan Rural (previously known as R K Harrison) is a specialist division of A-Plan Insurance (a Howden Company), providing insurance solutions for the rural community.
We have strong relationships with the Rural community and a deep understanding of the evolving risk landscape.
Specialist combine harvester knowledge - The risks for combine owners are specific, with GPS equipment often involved, and A-Plan Rural has the specliast expertise and policies to cover them at a competitive price
Dedicated account handlers - Our team knows the sector inside-out, and is on-hand if you need assistance
Combine harvester insurance policy highlights
One broad policy to manage many risks
Manage a wide range of combine harvester risks under one policy: Implements, Electrical Damage and Theft
Bespoke where you need it
We tailor arrangements to fit your needs precisely.
What is combine harvester insurance?
Combine harvester insurance is usually contained within a wider category of cover known as agricultural vehicle insurance. A-plan's agricultural vehicle insurance insures all of your farm vehicles under one, simple policy. You can also insure your agricultural vehicles individually, but it is usually more cost-effective to cover them in one.
Combine harvester insurance can be merged with cover for other vehicles, such as tractors, diggers, trailers, vans, pick-up trucks, and even cranes. It is important to note that agricultural vehicle insurance is not the same as agricultural insurance, which will not include cover for your combine harvester or any of your vehicles.
What does combine harvester insurance cover?
What's covered on a combine harvester policy depends on the type of vehicles and who's driving them. However, typical features of our agricultural vehicle insurance include:
- Access to a 24-hour claims line: We understand that agricultural workers often work unusual hours. But whatever the time of day, we are available to offer our expert advice whenever you need us.
- Legal expenses covered: If you need legal assistance following an accident, we’ve got you covered.
- Trailer cover: This applies to all trailers or agricultural trailers up to £50,000, depending on the type of cover you require.
- Multiple vehicles: There are no minimum or maximum limits on how many vehicles can be covered by your policy.
- Cover offered whatever the vehicle’s purpose may be: Our policies cover private cars, pick-ups, commercial and agricultural vehicles.
- Standard third-party cover: If you're involved in an accident, you're covered for damage or injury you cause to others
Note that an unregistered vehicle may not be covered by insurance. You can register your combine harvester with the DVLA.
The rules and regulations around driving agricultural vehicles are specific to the exact weight, use, and category of the vehicle in question. Bear in mind that:
- The tax required may differ from regular road tax
- The vehicle may require a specific license
- There might be a different minimum age requirement on who is allowed to operate the vehicle
You can find out everything you need to know about agricultural vehicles, including licences, tax, and other information, on the government's website.
Again, it's important that you follow the correct laws and regulations when operating an agricultural vehicle, otherwise, you may not be covered by your insurance.
How much does it cost to insure my combine harvester?
Combine harvesters are one of the most expensive pieces of equipment on a farm. A brand new combine harvester will usually cost upwards of £200,000 and can sometimes even come closer to £1 million. This means insurance can be on the pricier side.
The exact cost of the insurance will vary depending on your combine harvester model and the different risks involved. However, most providers should be able to give you a quote based on your model, its usage, where you live, and how the combine is stored.
If you are insuring your combine harvester with other vehicles under a single agricultural vehicle insurance policy, then the condition, use, and models of the other vehicles will also affect your quote.
How can I save on my combine harvester insurance?
Although it can be expensive, there are still ways you might be able to cut back on the costs of your combine harvester insurance or agricultural vehicle insurance in general. Here are some suggestions on how to do this:
- Tailoring your insurance policy. This means you will not be wasting money on cover for liabilities that you are unlikely to experience.
- Combine harvester security. These may include an alarm or a tracking device. Tracking devices are especially effective when it comes to reducing your insurance costs, as agricultural vehicles are often targeted in coordinated burglaries.
- How you store your combine harvester. By storing them safely, you reduce the chance of theft.
- Safe driving practices. Having a good no-claims record on regular roads can lead to a reduction in the price of your agricultural vehicle insurance.
- Registering your combine harvester with the DVLA. This helps to ensure the police are able to find your vehicle in the event of theft.
If you do make any of these recommendations, remember to inform your insurance provider or broker so they can update your quote.
Talk to us to save yourself time and moneyTry us out and see how we can help save money and make finding the right insurance cover that little bit easier for you.